Following two weeks of fixtures cancelled due to the cold weather Market Drayton's first team resumed their fixtures against Tamworth in a top of the table clash - the winners likely to hold a distinct advantage in the race for promotion.

Drayton started well, an intensity in their play that had been lacking in previous games against Old Wulfrunians and Redditch, and looked to capitalise on a tight hold of possession in the early exchanges.

Drayton created the better of the early chances; the running of Kabir Bowry, back into the side after injury, and Jordan Chevins providing chances in the final third.

Thanks to the strong driving runs of Bowry and creativity of fellow Keele University youngsters Zach Shellman, Owen Morris and Nick Whorton Drayton won several short corners in the opening stages. James Joule went close on several occasions only to be denied by some strong reflex saves from the Tamworth keeper – the stopper also pulling off a superb stick save to deny Brendan Jones.

However it was Jones who got the break through from a penalty corner; a drag flick into the right side of the net, Jones' intelligent disguise sending the Tamworth keeper the wrong direction.

Drayton continued to press and were rewarded with another short corner; this time it was Joule, Drayton's captain, who dragged low into the right side of the back board to double Drayton's advantage.

The expected Tamworth rally came as the away side looked to forge away back into the fixture; several chances were created and were it not for the steady head of Phil Williams and the impressive Craig Ruscoe in the Drayton net a Tamworth comeback may have been in the offing.

However Drayton defended staunchly and the solid base provided by the defence allowed their forwards to increase the home side's lead – Brendan Jones exchanged passes with Joule in a well worked short corner to give Drayton a three-nil lead as the teams approached the half time interval.

But the whistle did not come soon enough for Tamworth and Brendan Jones was sent through on goal, to complete his hat-trick, after the ball was won in midfield - his dragged finish from the top of the D slid under the advancing goalkeeper and into the Tamworth net.

Drayton's superb first half display enabled them to sit tightly on their lead in the second and despite some pressure from Tamworth in the second half the away side could not drag themselves back into the fixture – Tamworth did have the ball in the back of the net, only for it to be ruled out, the umpire blowing early for a short corner.

Drayton will look to push on from this victory and establish themselves in the promotion places as they complete their league programme in the next month. Drayton visit Wednesbury on Saturday in another promotion clash looking to give themselves an advantage over their league rivals.