Market Drayton's first team came into this double game weekend knowing that positive results would give them momentum and the upper hand in the promotion race.

Drayton visited Wednesbury on Saturday; their opponents on a good run, occupying third position in the table, having played a game more than Drayton.

Wednesbury started the brighter, Drayton second to many challenges, their away form the fragile aspect of their season so far. The home side took the lead from a short corner after twenty minutes, the first strike being blocked but the second nestling into the bottom corner of the net, avoiding Craig Ruscoe and James Joule defending on the line.

The home side's lead a fair reflection of the match so far Wednesbury had chances to go further ahead as Drayton, unable to build from possession at the back, struggled to penetrate the D as the half progressed.

The half time whistle came as welcome relief for Drayton, a frustrating first period had passed where they had been bettered by a hard working Wednesbury side.

However the second half started with Drayton pressing hard to find an equaliser; a renewed vigour about their attacking forays produced a number of short corners. The ball fell to Brendan Jones from one such corner and with a reverse stick shot the ball found its way into the net despite the best efforts of the Wednesbury stopper.

Drayton continued to press but were thwarted by some strong defending by the home side; who themselves fashioned many openings on the break, one such break provided perhaps the chance of the day but the ball ran away from the Wednesbury forward and the scores stayed level.

It was Wednesbury however who gained what appeared to be a crucial advantage late the game; another penalty corner the difference, the breakdown of the play from the initial shot found a Wednesbury forward who converted from a narrow angle to make it 2-1 to the hosts.

But Drayton weren't finished there and found a way to draw level minutes later, James Joule finding the net from another corner.

After their tough away draw on Saturday Drayton's first team hosted Stafford at Lilleshall on Sunday looking to continue their fine home record.

Drayton began the game well as they looked to force the pressure onto their opponents; dominating possession in the early throes of the game they were able to control the tempo and direction of play.

A driving run from Chris Long bought about the first short corner for Drayton which was duly converted by Joule with a low drag-flick to give Drayton the lead.

Long was again provider for the second; the midfielder's cross found Brendan Jones on the stretch to finish and give Drayton an early 2-0 advantage.

Drayton continued to manipulate the play well; moving the ball across the pitch with the aid of defensive support.

Stafford found it hard to break down the solid Drayton defence, a defence which was led well by Joule and ably assisted by Nick Whorton, the score remained 2-0 as the game went into the half time break.

After the interval Drayton continued to hold the majority of the possession and territory; their dominance produced a number of chances and one was eventually taken as Kabir Bowry rounded the Stafford keeper in the D to push home.

Drayton made it four courtesy of another drag-flick from Joule; the Drayton captain sent the keeper the wrong way to wrap up the points for the home side.

Drayton host Kidderminster next Saturday at home at Keele University looking to continue their home form and keep the pressure on the league leaders in the promotion battle.